Something has changed the information on its way down south:
It’s FC St Pauli, formed in 1899 in the red-light district of Hamburg, down by the docks.
Its supporters were the local wharfies and labourers, and the occasional prostitute.
When the Beatles lived and played among Hamburg’s brothels and strip-clubs in the early 1960s, had they gone to the local footy between gigs they would have gone to watch FC St Pauli.
By the early 1980s the area was in decline and the soccer side was going down with it.
Source: New Zealand Herald
- Another cliché: Sankt Pauli – The Sex Pistols of the German football league
- St. Pauli – Stuttgart: Stanislawski – „lesson learned“
- St. Pauli nu breaks 5.000 „likes“ on Facebook
- Benefizkonzert zugunsten des FC St. Pauli Blindenfußballs: St. Pauli Down-Home Gospel Choir mit Joanne Bell
- FC St. Pauli – when the winter comes the hype goes
- Liebe Präsidenten, darum geht es! …